Stacy Knits

Ramblings about knitting and whatever else crosses my mind

Monday, February 21, 2005

And I present, Clapotis

I think I'm the only person in the knitting online world that didn't fall head over heels for Clapotis the day the Knitty Fall issue was posted. It didn't grab me right away, in spite of the fact that the Knitty Clapotis was pink. Coupled with the fact that its name sounds more like an STD than a scarf (especially after I started calling it "the Clap"), and I didn't think I'd ever make it.

I bought 3 skeins of Koigu at my LYS's post Christmas sale in what else, a pink colorway. I'd intended the 2 skeins for the Knitting Club Hat from Yarn Girls' Guide and the rest for a matching scarf. I started this lovely lacy thing but when it took an hour to do 3 inches, I knew it wasn't the scarf for me. Clapotis however was starting to grow on me after some of the completed ones I'd seen. Off I went.

I am now a huge fan of "The Clap." This is a really great pattern. It's got enough variation in the stitches to keep you from being completely bored but yet it's easy to work on while watching TV. You don't have to worry about gauge or readjusting to make it the width you want. You just knit the increase sections until it's as wide as you want then knit the drop stitch sections until it's as long as you want. I've heard this pattern eats up the yarn and to get more than the pattern calls for if you want it that width. I had parts of 2 balls of Koigu leftover from the hat (which was worked with doubled strands) so I used one for the increases and knit until I was done with it. That way, I knew I would have enough leftover from the second leftover ball to do the decrease sections and could knit the length for the entire full skein I had. I did buy an extra skein, just in case, but ended up not using it.

And I love my Clap, and it goes great with the Yarn Girls' Hat I finished a few weeks back. And it's pink.


Pattern: Knitty.com Clapotis
Yarn: Koigu PPPM, colorway #213 (1 full skein plus close to another full skein)
Needles: Size 6
My Notes: the pattern calls for 6 repeats of the increase section but I only did 2 (or 3, I can't remember). Mine is about 6 inches wide and 50 inches long after blocking.

Pattern: Yarn Girls' Guide to Simple Knits Knitting Club Hat
Yarn: Koigu PPPM, Colorway #213
Needles: Size 9 (yarn held doubled)
My Notes: I had trouble getting the gauge the pattern calls for so ended up making the large size hat when I would otherwise do the small. I probably would have been okay with the medium. This one's a bit big (not too bad but I prefer hats to fit more snugly).

1 Comments:

  • At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your Clap is beautiful, maybe now I'll get on the train and make one too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home