Stacy Knits

Ramblings about knitting and whatever else crosses my mind

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Kool Aid Dying for Yarn, Fingers, and Kitchen Counters

Lessons Learned During Kool-Aid Dying:
1. Wear gloves
2. Black Cherry Kool-Aid blends nicely with my kitchen counters

I had a small ball (maybe 50 yards) of cream Cascade 220 and happened to have 3 packets of Kool-Aid in my cabinet, left from when my younger brother lived with me last year. I decided I'd try dying the yarn to see what I could come up with. I used Cherry, Black Cherry, and Berry Blue. It went pretty well until I managed to dump a puddle of Black Cherry on the counter. Most of it came out. Never fear, it matches the yellow dye I spilled once while making candles. I should take a hint and give up anything with dyes. But the color has mostly faded off my hands.

I love how Berry Blue and Cherry look. Where the Black Cherry blended with the others, it's kind of an ugly gray-purple so I doubt I'd use it with these shades again. But overall, I'm pretty pleased and would wear a sweater made of these shades. I'm not sure I'm really that in love with the Kool Aid dying process though. I picked up a skein of Paton's Classic Merino and more Koolaid last night to give it another shot.


2 Comments:

  • At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Stacy, enjoyed your blog & admire your Sophie bag and Marilyn, I am inspired!
    I was able to remove red koolaid stain from my kitchen counter by applying hairspray and letting it soak in, rubbing with an old washcloth, maybe it would work for you too.
    Cute babies you have, glad you are training them to support Big Blue!!!

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger Stacy said…

    Juls, remember, knitting is an excuse for an extension on your tax return. I would tell you exactly which section of the IRS code that is but I skipped that day of class. :)

    Woooo, Carol, another knitting Cat fan! Thanks for the compliments on my beloved pups, my knitting and especially for the tip on the Kool Aid. I never would have thought of using hairspray. Fortunately most of the Black Cherry Kool Aid came out but I do have a couple of spots of candle making dye that I need to do something about. I'm going to try that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home