Stacy Knits

Ramblings about knitting and whatever else crosses my mind

Sunday, April 30, 2006

I met the Yarn Harlot!

And all I got was this crappy camera phone pic! This is even bad for a camera phone pic. I'm not sure what is up here.

She appeared at a book festival in Lex yesterday! Unfortunately (or maybe not so, given the plans), I had to skip the knitting session but did have her sign a copy of her latest book, Knitting Rules. I just knew I'd meet her and be all cool and memorable. I was doing very well until I mentioned something about my blog. She asked who I was, and I told her Stacy but "you've never visited my blog." "You'd be surprised. Haven't you left a comment for me? I get to all of those."

And that's when I turned into a blubbering idiot.

I actually told the Yarn Harlot that the reason I couldn't go to the special knitting session was because I had to go to Louisville to go out with a hot fireman (I'm sure she will confirm that those were my exact words). I was so embarassed that I would miss out on a celebrity knit-a-thon that I had to give her the one and only thing that I felt justified my absence. And quite frankly, when you're 31 and single, choosing knitting over dating will send your Mom into fits of despair that you just don't want to deal with.

I didn't have my knitting with me, and I didn't have on a single handknit. I am an outcast. Since I had plans that night and errands to run that day, I didn't get all knitted up like I would have otherwise. Not to mention how freaking humid it was yesterday!

When I first started knitting, blogging, and reading the Yarn Harlot's blog, I enjoyed it but for some reason, never really cared to read her books (please don't pass out YET everyone). I couldn't figure out how knitting could be humorous and couldn't I just get it on her blog? How wrong I was!!! I finally read her previous books a couple of months ago and was hooked. They are really funny, and I had trouble putting them down.

I haven't had a chance to read the new one and really haven't even skimmed through it a whole lot since I just got it yesterday but so far, I have to say that it could be my favorite yet. The humor is still there but this one is more of a everything you need to know about knitting type book. It's not an instruction manual like SNB but it looks like something I would have loved to have had when I first started in addition to the books teaching me to do the knitting thing. So buy it.

And Yarn Harlot, if you come across this, I hope you enjoyed your trip to beautiful Lexington! The weather ended up being quite decent. I hope the sock got some nice action shots and got to ride a horse or something. I would have suggested a nice picture of the sock resting on the Rupp Arena basketball court since it was mere feet away from said mecca but I think I'm the only person around blogland that would tear up at the sight.

Oh, about that fireman. Yes, that was a true story, not something I made up off the top of my head. It ended up not happening. I was going to Louisville with friends for another friend's birthday. He was hoping he'd be able to get away for the night but unfortunately, he couldn't.
Firemen work some funky hours. We'll try again soon.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Emma said…

    Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm formerly from Kentucky, but I live in Oklahoma now, and I miss it a lot. Lexington is a great city. And I have a terrier named Elly too! Weird.

     
  • At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fun!!!! And I would so skip celeb knitting for a hot fireman.

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger sarah said…

    I'm always amazed when "famous" knit bloggers stop by my blog. I feel so special!

     
  • At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd skip me for a hot fireman. Totally made sense.

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Blogger MelissaPurls said…

    I totally agree with you that Yarn Harlot's sock in Rupp Arena is a great combination! Hooray for UK! :)

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Haven't heard from you in awhile. Hope you are well...

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Blogger left said…

    A whole blog about knitting? I didn't know it was possible. Brilliant.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home