Stacy Knits

Ramblings about knitting and whatever else crosses my mind

Monday, April 10, 2006

A Real Kentucky Weekend...

Not much knitting to report but I had a one of the best weekends I've had since football season (or at least since things ended up with the ex in January). A gathering of a few friends for the opening weekend of Keeneland developed into a 30 person LimoBus renting extravaganza. I packed the dogs off for grandma and grandpa's house for the weekend so I could spend the day out and not have to worry about them. You don't have to love horse racing to love Keeneland but if you do love racing, there's no place better.

The day started out nasty, cold and dreary but by the time the second race rolled around, the sky was bright blue, and the sun had warmed it to a comfortable temperature. I happened to meet a very cute doctor while tailgating pre-races, a college friend of a friend of mine, that became my companion for the rest of the day (from out of state, I doubt I'll ever see him again but it was fun while it lasted!).

One thing that makes Keeneland so neat is that many people still get dressed up. You'll see just about anything worn but I'm in the camp of people that loves to dress up and see what others are wearing. For example, this guy, rocking his plaid blazer and matching plaid tie. Our favorite outfit of the day!


The Paddock. One of the prettiest spots on earth. Seriously. During the October meet, the leaves on the trees are changing into beautiful fall colors. In the spring, things are in bloom. Not a whole lot is blooming this early in April but in a couple of weeks, it will be perfect. Still, it's gorgeous.




Most tracks don't have this area open to the public like Keeneland does, which lets you get close to the horses and watch the owners and trainers get the horses and jockeys ready for the race.


After the track was to a Japanese restaurant for sushi and even more fun. This is only about half of our group. We had another group in that next room. It was huge!

There I am in the bottom right corner.



And finally, mugging for the camera with my friend (right) and the cute doctor (left)


It was a long day, starting early and going late but it was a blast all the way through!

3 Comments:

  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    What fun! It really looked so gorgeous there.

     
  • At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just love an occasion where I can dress up. We're not much on the horseraces here, so that means high tea at the Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay. Ahhh, good stuff. The next time you come to California, we'll find an excuse to get together and dress up!

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks like a blast! I too love dressing up! Why am I using so many exclamation marks!?!

    And can I add......"a dahk-tah!" Nice. ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home