Stacy Knits

Ramblings about knitting and whatever else crosses my mind

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Gift Knitting

We're under our first snow storm watch of the year. From what I'm hearing, a whopping 2-4" is predicted but that's plenty to send LexVegas Kroger stores into a bread/milk shopping frenzy. I plan to spend tomorrow night inside, curled on the couch with Survivor, the Apprentice, and knitting. The local weather guy is probably soiling his pants with excitement right now. You know how they get.

Has anyone ever knit anything on a whim, thinking they wouldn't get much use of it, really just wanted to try the pattern, and find they use it constantly? The Velez Loopy Cowl from SNB has been this for me. I started it last year because I'd only done a couple of things on circs and thought the loops looked pretty cool. I had some sparkly white Wool-Ease that I didn't have planned for anything else so away I went. A couple of weeks ago, I pulled it out and wore it. It's so warm! You can really snuggle into it on a windy, cold day.

A co-worker saw my Cowl and went crazy over it. She told me that she wants one just like it, same yarn and everything. I happen to have plenty of the yarn left. I was going to do a scarf as a Christmas present for her anyway but it was going to be a novelty yarn quickie type scarf. The loops take awhile but otherwise it's a quick, mindless knit. She is one of those people that will really appreciate a handknit gift so I'm thrilled to get to do it for her. She's insisting on paying me for it but I say no. It's stash Wool-Ease so it's not like it's breaking me up.

The Backyard Leaves scarf for the work Secret Santa is coming along great. I finished the first half and plan to cast on for the second tonight. I decided to go ahead and block it because I am so anxious to see what it looks like once blocked. It looks great! Blocking makes a huge difference. I soaked it then pinned it out on the bed to dry. The pattern calls for 11 repeats of the leaf pattern and says that the scarf should end up 36" per piece. I did 10 repeats and my first piece is 39". Someone's row gauge is off! I only have 330 yards of yarn, and the pattern calls for 400 so there's a chance I may not get as many repeats before running out in my other half. We'll see. I tried to figure how many repeats to do so that I get the scarf as long as I can without running out of yarn since I bought the last 3 balls of this color at my LYS.

Oh yeah, Plymouth Suri Alpaca is so soft after blocking! I was afraid it would be a bit fuzzy to show the pattern well but it looks really good. I'm not sure that this yarn would hold up well without pilling in sweaters but I think it's going to be wonderful for scarves. At about $5 for 110 yards, the price is more than reasonable. The colors are nice, and it feels really good to knit.

In lieu of knitting photos, a picture of me and my guy from this weekend at my friend's band's show. Aren't we cute? :)



4 Comments:

  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger goodkarma said…

    Hey cuties! Great picture of the two of you. :)

    I'd love to see a picture of you in your cowl. I've never made or worn a cowl but have been cold lately, so I might get inspired! :)

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Lauren said…

    That is a very cute picture. I have had the same experience with wearing something all the time that I didn't expect. I wear a Wool-ease cardigan A LOT even though I hate the color (I bought it because the color was $1/ball).

     
  • At 3:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Really cute! :-)

    That loopy cowl has been on my wishlist since SnB came out. I need to knit one for myself this winter, too!

     
  • At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cute.....I think more like downright adorable!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home