Stacy Knits

Ramblings about knitting and whatever else crosses my mind

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

I've been tagged again

I feel so popular. Okay, so I'm the last blogger out there being tagged but I'll pretend anyway. :) Skylar and Liss tagged me in the same day!

Here goes, the Book Meme. Like many other knit bloggers, I love to read so this one is fun.

1) Total number of books I own?
Really, I have no clue. Maybe 100, give or take a few? I just got rid of a bunch of paperbacks so it's not as bad as it was. I borrow most books now from the library and exchange with friends. I used to buy tons but this is a lot cheaper!

2) The last book I bought?
The Jane Austen Book Club. Bought it yesterday actually. It had been on my list of things to read, and Steph mentioned it in Target when we were in there yesterday so home it came.

3) The last book I read?

Derailed by James Siegal. Great mystery! I finally read it, after listening to my friend and her mother both rave about it.

I currently am reading 2 books, Winter Prey by John Sandford and The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Ann Fadiman. Winter Prey is okay. I'm not a huge John Sandford fan. The Spirit Catches You was recommended to me by someone in the medical field. It's about the child of Hmong immigrants to the US from Laos who had epilepsy. It's about the difficulties between her parents and the medical field, both groups wanting the best for the child but communication and beliefs being different. It's pretty good so far.

I tend to read a lot of fluff because , starting in law school and continuing today, I've had to do enough reading of depressing crap and heavy stuff daily that I read almost solely for escapism.

4) 5 books that mean a lot to me? (this is tough!)

1. The Bible: The book that's had the most profound effect on my life. I'm Christian though not particularly religious, but my beliefs and the beliefs of most of my family members have been shaped by the Bible.

2. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maude Montgomery: I loved this series of books as pre-teen and even into my teenage years! A couple of my friends also were obsessed, and we had a little mini-book club going on with as much as we talked about them.

3. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee: My alltime favorite book. The story is so simple but so wonderful. I re-read it every couple of years and enjoy it more and more each time.

4. Stitch N Bitch by Debbie Stoller : Knit bloggers won't laugh (I don't think) but I've gotta add it in here. I'd wanted to knit for ages and never managed to figure it out, in multiple attempts. This book was when it finally clicked.

5. Trail of Tears by John Ehle: About the forced removal of the Cherokee tribe from the east to the west. I honestly haven't even read all of this book but hwat I have is heartbreaking and particularly meaningful because my great-grandmother was Cherokee. I've been told that her grandfather or great-grandfather was a tribal leader. My brother took the book when he moved, and I need to get it to finish it and also read more about the topic itself.

5) Tag 5 people and have them fill this out in their blogs:

Again, I'm probably the last person in knit blog land to finish this. I'm going to tag Juls even though she's already been tagged. I'm just doing it to spur her into action. Steph, my favoritest learning to knit friend, I don't know if you do these kind of things on Livejournal but if you do, I'll tag you too.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:42 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    I nearly put the Anne series on mine... I've read the whole set so many times and in fact still own them. I'm still jealous you actually got to visit PEI!

    Our answers about the Bible are nearly identical. :)

     
  • At 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Stacy! Smiley! Hiya...I was talking to Steph tonight and she mentioned that you are a knitting ace. I just wanted to say that I am in awe. I've been trying to teach myself knitting and I can cast on and get that row done, but everything after that is a total mess. Your knittings are sooo lovely! So Stitch & Bitch helped? I bought S&B Nation, but it's a little advanced.
    Anyway, other than gushing over your skills, I did want to say hello!, and I hope you and your beautiful doggies are doing well.
    Love,
    Sarah.

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger sarah said…

    I haven't been tagged! Not that I'm asking for it, but I guess it's cuz I'm a newbie out here in blogland.

    I'm with you on reading for escapism. When you have to read for student-ness, all you want to read otherwise is fluffy (hence why I read the whole Harry Potter series on semester).

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://www.mlminspirations.com/patterns/BellaPaquita/index.html

    OMG, that is SO pretty. You need one!

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gack! I slack a little between posts, and BOOM! another tag. This one is a fun one and I'll have to give it some thought before I get it up on the blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home