Stacy Knits

Ramblings about knitting and whatever else crosses my mind

Saturday, January 14, 2006

It all comes together...

Weirdest thing happened to me this week. The planets all aligned over a knitting pattern, and I knew that it was meant to be. Let's start back earlier this fall. I bought a mohair blend wrap sweater at Ann Taylor Loft. Much to my mohair-hating surprise, I have worn this thing like crazy. It's so cuddly and soft. In fact, if not for sympathy for my co-workers and the fact that I really hate dirty looks, I'd wear it everyday.

Pondering my love for this sweater, a lightbulb went off. I will knit a mohair cardigan! But not just any mohair, it has to be soft and cuddly like the cardi. Of course, the first thought was Rowan Kidsilk Haze. I searched for patterns and really didn't find one that I liked. The idea kind of slipped my mind until I was browsing Elizabeth's blog the other day and noticed she had bought GGH Soft Kid and a Rebecca Soft Kid magazine for a cardigan. And there went another light bulb! The cardigan she chose was lovely but I didn't think it would be flattering on my shape. That didn't stop me from some more searches for Soft Kid. I was even thinking about doing the infamous Rebecca Wrap cardigan, just lengthening the sleeves.

I finally came up with this pattern:


It's from Rebecca #30. Adding to the coincidence factor, I haven't seen a single picture of it online, other than one on an eBay auction (that isn't even posted anymore. I had to scan this photo!). I've been thinking about this cardi almost all week long, seriously. I finally dashed out of work and made it to my LYS just minutes before closing to buy the issue of Rebecca. I'm not sure how much of a ruffly girl I am but it's so cute that I have to have it.

While searching for the Blue Sky Alpacas Snap Cardigan pattern, I saw that KnitHappens was having a 20% off sale this weekend. They sell GGH Soft Kid. I happen to have a few extra dollars of Christmas money remaining. And conveniently, I need to order the Snap Cardi pattern (Webs that I have the GC for has the yarn, not the pattern). See how all these pieces fell together?

I imagined it in the pale pink shade but since they only had one ball left and because the medium pink looks to be about the same color as the inspiration sweater in my closet, I went for the darker raspberry color. I placed the order and hope to have my yarn soon (I will not start until I finish Salina, I will not...er, why bother? I know I will, even if just to cast on and work on after Salina).

I was showing it to the owner, a sweet older German lady who showed it to a friend that was helping her out that day. She said that it would be perfect for me because I'm so cute. Hehehe. Again, it kills me to pay $17 for a magazine that I may make only one pattern from but glancing through the many oddball patterns Rebecca seems to have, I saw another pattern that is EXACTLY what I've been wanting, a cabled turtleneck, and it's my favorite one I've seen yet. Add this to the to do list...

There are several other things from the magazine I like as well but for now, this will be it. The to do list keeps growing and growing. It's outrageously long right now. But this Rebecca cardigan and cabled turtleneck are the next two things on the list, along with the Snap Cardigan. Yeah, yeah, along with finishing Apricot (half of one front and a sleeve left) and a blue Silky Wool Pullover I started LAST year but have been a little indifferent on whether to finish the last sleeve or rip it out and make something else.

On a side note, I wonder if the Rebecca German to English translations just don't work right sometimes. Case in point:

My own little island in the ocean. We're two pirate brides, and this is our hideout. It is from this island that we set out on our ransacking travels.

At least I got a great laugh out of that!

3 Comments:

  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger goodkarma said…

    How fun, you're totally inspired right now! I love that part of the knitting, the whole planning and research part. The Rebecca cardi is awfully cute and will look so pretty in a raspberry color. What color did you decide on for the Snap Cardi?

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    Rebecca is a great magazine, but the English translation seems a bit...er...off sometimes! I'm still waiting to make that wrap w/ the short sleeves. Ugh! So much to knit so little time!

     
  • At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    *sniff* I want my Christmas present!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home